Wednesday 29 August 2012

IPads And My All Time Favourite TV Shows


When your life seems to be all work, sleep, eat on repeat, you need to find things that get you excited and passionate. Things that can provide entertainment, escapism and something to look forward to.

Since starting full time work, I’ve been pretty overwhelmed by my lack of spare time, huge commutes, long work days that leave you exhausted by the time you finally get home, and the fact that I’m always seemingly living for the weekends. So I’ve found it really important to find things that make my work days a bit brighter and more bearable.

I have a few go-to activities that provide me with great joy and escapism, however the number one at the moment is my addiction to TV Shows. Specifically dramas.

One enormous tip I can give to those of you that have a long commute or travel lots on public transport is try and save up and BUY AN IPAD (which I did really recently!).


Isn't she pretty?

Before my iPad, my 45 minute train ride to work and then 45 minutes home again nearly killed me. Now when I wake up in the mornings and when I step out of my building at night, I really look forward to my iPad TV show watching on the train. It’s a perfect amount of time to watch a full episode, and train trips fly by so fast to the point where I barely notice them anymore. Sometimes I even wish they would go longer so I could watch another episode! 

I feel like I’ve gotten back an hour and half of my life a day (that equates to 7.5 hours over the work week!), and time is so precious to me. So an iPad has been a brilliant investment for my life and wellbeing. It creates my own little movie theatre on the train where I can zone out and be fully engrossed in my shows and not even notice I’m on a train.

So getting your hand on an iPad would be one of the biggest work/life balance recommendations I could give you.


Anyway now to get to what I actually watch on my iPad!

If you are anything like me, you’ll whizz through every season of a whole TV show and then constantly be in search of your next potential show addiction. I’m currently waiting on about NINE shows to start in the new season, which is pretty crazy! So I’m always looking for new recommendations of the next show I should watch. I’d actually love it if you guys could recommend shows to me!

So in case you share this show addiction of mine, I thought I’d create a couple of posts on my favourites. This one will be my all time favourite shows that are now finished and are my top shows of all time. The next post will be current favourite shows that are still being produced.

So let’s start with a BANG. My favourite show of all time...

#1

One Tree Hill (9 seasons)

Part of my OTH collection - have leant the others out to friends who now share my addiction!

Basic Plot:
The show centres around two half brothers- Lucas and Nathan, and the girls in their lives- Peyton, Hayley and Brooke. It covers their struggles with their selfish and difficult father Dan, relationships with their friends and family members, and the issues experienced as a teen and as a twenty-something.

It’s 9 seasons long and the first four seasons span their 16-18 year old lives, and then the show skips forward five years in season 5 and shows their lives from 22 onwards. It’s great to be able to follow the characters as they grow and see where they end up.

Genre:
Drama, Romance, Feel Good. 

Why I love it:
It’s one of the only shows I’ve watched that focuses on the life of the young adult (rather than just teen or college student). The characters grow as you do, and I started watching it when I was the same age as them (around 16) and then finished watching it when I was a similar age to them.

The show includes elements of many different interests of mine. For instance there’s a fashion designer, a music label owner, a singer, an author, a sports star, a movie producer, a model/actress, etc. Through each of these characters we see their related element play out, so it feels like many shows in one.

It’s such a feel good show that portrays relationships so incredibly well, and you get to know the characters in enormous depth. There are some really fast paced thrilling episodes, but also plenty of slower moving relationship focused ones, but all of it is full of drama and incredibly exciting. It’s just such a genuine, sincere, lovely show.

Yes... I do have a Clothes Over Bros T-shirt!! (don't judge me too hard - I wear it as PJs!)

Any Negatives?
Stick with it, first season takes a while to get into. I watched the first five episodes and got slightly bored, and then a bit later really got back into it! After about episode 10 of first season, the show is absolutely amazing. So stick with it, I promise you’ll love it! Also some people weren’t sure about the five year jump that occurs in season 5, but I think it was a perfect addition to the show.

Favourite Characters:
Brooke, Nathan, Julian and Jamie.




#2

Lost (6 seasons)

Just part of my Lost collection

Basic Plot:
A group of (very good looking!) strangers find themselves stuck on a deserted island after their plane terrifyingly crashes mid flight. Turns out the island is no ordinary island, and the survivors have to band together to survive.

Genre:
Drama, Suspense/Thriller, Mystery. There is also quite a lot of Comedy and Romance too!

Why I love it:
For its emphasis on human drama and relationships. No other show that I have ever watched has had so many main characters (this has over 20!), all of whom you get to know in enormous detail. Each episode tends to have a specific character focus, so the show will ‘flashback’ into the lives of the character before the island, and you can find out why they act the way they do due to past experiences, and discover what motivates them.

I really love psychological shows where humans are tested to their limits by extreme circumstances. It’s the psychologist in me coming out! It’s a brilliant, addictive, clever show, with the most well developed, plausible characters at its centre.

One of my very lucky friends had the 21st of a lifetime (cost over $25,000!!!!??!) and had four TV shows as the theme/sets - Dexter, Simpsons, Sex and the City and Lost. It actually felt like you were in each of the TV shows, it was that good! I stole this secretly as a souvenir - I think I appreciated this more than anyone!

Any Negatives?
You will probably hear of people complaining about how confusing Lost is. It is a very high involvement show definitely, one where you have to watch every single episode in order. But if you follow it religiously you will understand it. There are constant clues and mysteries and things you pick up on, which just adds to the enjoyment of the show.

Also the show takes a slight sci-fi path in the middle, and so long as you are prepared to slightly suspend disbelief, it makes sense in the context of the whole show. In addition, the ending is highly debated, but one thing to keep in mind is that there are many interpretations to the ending (which sporadic watchers missed), so choose the one that you are most comfortable and satisfied with. A lot of Lost is about personal interpretations and meanings derived from events.

Favourite Characters:
Kate (love it when my name’s a character’s name!), Jack, Sawyer, Locke and Sayid.




#3

Friends (10 seasons)

Box Set!!

Basic Plot:
Centred around 6 best friends living in New York City, and the show follows their lives spanned over 10 years. Covers their friendships, loves, losses, work life, and just everything friends go through.

Genre:
Comedy, Drama, Feel Good.

Why I love it:
It’s so true to life and genuine and it reminds me of my group of friends. It’s so comforting and happy to watch and always puts me in a good mood. It’s extremely relatable.


Poster in my room

Any Negatives?
It’s not as addictive as the top two shows, I love shows that have cliff hangers where I can’t wait to watch the next episode. Even though there is a continuing plot, most of the episodes could be stand alone. Good for quick or random viewing, but I prefer to get fully absorbed in a show. Although I can still do this with Friends, and I have been known to sit there for a few hours and watch episode after episode! Also the episodes only go for 20 minutes, whereas I prefer longer episodes of shows that get me more absorbed.

Favourite characters:
All of them! Particularly the boys! But Monica annoys me.



So there you have my top three shows of all time!

If you pushed me to make it a top 5 (I couldn't help myself!), I would also add Gilmore Girls and The OC in there.

Gilmore Girls is such a clever, witty drama with plenty of comedic moments. The banter that goes on between mother Lorelai and daughter Rory is brilliant - they speak so fast! Slightly slow moving in terms of plot, but along the same lines as One Tree Hill in terms of being a sincere, genuine feeling show. There are 7 seasons, that cover the ups and downs of the mother daughter relationship, family, friends and romance, switching between focusing on both Lorelai and Rory’s lives. Lorelai is a stand out character in this show.



The OC came out at a similar time to One Tree Hill, but instead of being set in a small town with more normal characters, the characters in this are more along the lines of Gossip Girl. Incredibly rich and spoilt, it spans the lives of a group of high schoolers and their relationships. An addictive, exciting, glamorous show that never fails to remind me of summer and of my youth. There is an innocence and sincerity that lies at the middle of this show, that’s different to others of its kind, which makes it a stand out in my mind. Absolutely love Seth and Sandy Cohen! It is let down slightly by its final season however (there are four seasons).



So there is my top three/five (it was hard to decide okay!)

I’ll do a post soon about my current, still screening favourites. So are you a fan of any of these shows? I’d love to hear your opinions on them in the comments below! I always enjoy a good chat about the TV shows I love!

27 comments:

  1. Remember the hours we spent having conversations about Team Sawyer vs. Team Jack (in reference to Kate of course)..... oh the good ole' time!

    A xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy do I! TEAM JACK!!! Although I do love Sawyer so can I bat for both teams? :P haha
      I'm rewatching it from the start on my iPad by the way! So cool to watch it all again now knowing what I do!
      xx

      Delete
    2. Team Boone? Anyone? Those eyes, that hair.. (let's just ignore the weird incest plot)

      Delete
    3. Haha LOVE Ian Somerhalder! Watch him in Vampire Diaries, he's so much better on that! Hotter, better personality, less metro and less incest :P

      Delete
  2. Great tv shows :) I wish i could motivate myself to save, im so laaazy!

    Sophierosehearts x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you approve! Saving brings you lots of fun things :P
      Which is always good! x

      Delete
  3. I love one tree hill so so much! I get absolutely hooked to it haha :) i really want an ipad also, they look so good!
    Theressomethingaboutbeauty♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay a fellow OTH fan!! Are you as lame as me and wear a Clothes Over Bros tshirt though? Haha. Buy one and then I won't be the only loser on the internet :P
      Definitely worth buying an iPad, worth every cent!

      x

      Delete
  4. I couldn't agree more on the shows!! Great post:)


    www.thriftyfriday.blogspot.com <Beauty Giveaway this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, love to hear you like the same shows! Thanks for your lovely comment :) Just had a look at your blog and loved it! What a gorgeous wedding you had! xx

      Delete
  5. Hello, lovely blog you have!
    Actually I'm doing a "Friends" marathon, all the 10 seasons, I'm watching season 6 now :)
    I'm a new follower, would you like to follow each other?

    http://makeupandlondon.com

    xx
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica! The amount of times I've rewatched all 10 seasons is ridiculous! I made my boyfriend watch them all with me and we worked out the amount of time we spent watching it made up like 3% of our total relationship at the time! How crazy is that :P

      Just looked at your blog, loved it and now a follower! x

      Delete
  6. I want and ipad! I love friends!

    Let's follow each other? :)

    http://perlaxmakeup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. iPads are the best, so happy with my purchase decision!! Strongly recommend one!

      Just popped over to have a look at your blog, now following you :)

      Go us new bloggers... it's so fun isn't it!? x

      Delete
  7. i am exactly the same re waiting for shows. i keep checking if they have started yet...

    two major series that have now finished that i lived for- dawson's creek (!!!!!!!) (my galpals and i relived the awesomeness with marathons over several weekends a few years back) and good old sex and the city. i was a bit young when it started so used to sneak to the downstairs tv and put it on really quietly while my parents were watching it upstairs! bad arse!

    looking forward to seeing what your current ones are. also, one i am kinda ashamed to admit to- I was into 7th heaven. i know, i know. it was just that the ridiculous wholesomeness of the family was so appealing...then they scripted for some of the kids to rebel in the later years and it got really sad.

    i'm going to give one tree hill a guernsey tonight on you recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness do you know how excited I was to see such an incredibly long comment on my post! SO EXCITED! I love long things to read!! Haha I am always looking at my TV Calendar in hope, but there's still such a long time to wait! And in the meantime I've started all these new shows so I'll have even more to catch up on when the new season starts again!

      I'm actually currently watching Sex and the City!!! That's all that's on my iPad at the moment! Just up to season 4 where Aidan is in the picture- I love him! Were you a Big or Aidan person? Ahhh! Exciting! I also watched Dawson's Creek when I was really little but can't remember it too well so may have to give it another shot soon actually! Good idea! I'm so desperate for new shows-thanks for the suggestion!

      Haha yes Sex and the City is awkward to watch, I've decided it's probably not the best train show in the world-I have to keep tilting the screen towards me in the naughty bits so people on the train don't think I'm some weirdo watching inappropriate train shows :P

      Ha my aunt has got majorly into 7th heaven recently, she bought the whole box set! I'll admit, I have watched daytime TV and been glued to 7th Heaven at times...such a funny wholesome type show that's strangely addictive! Ha did the kids rebel?! I never got that far! That's so funny!

      Oh yay I'm so glad to hear you'll give One Tree Hill a go! My mums now addicted too! Remember give it a few episodes to warm up...you'll love it I swear :P

      Hope this long comment has done yours justice, thanks for taking the time to comment so brilliantly :)

      xxx

      Delete
    2. MAJOR Aiden fan. he is an absolute babe. Plus he can do DIY. Sign me up for some of that! That's hilarious about watching it on the train. I was the same recently about reading 50 shades of grey- I would open i really fast on my lap so that no one could see what I was reading...but by the end I just thought "stuff it, people can suck it up!". I got lazy!
      Started One Tree Hill last night. I liked the set up between the two brothers. will definitely keep watching.
      Thanks for your comment on my locket post. I know what you mean about being blog buddies- it's like the grown up version of pen pals. I love it. Also love that we started around the same time. We will have to make a pact that if either of us become big famous bloggers we won't forget each other!!

      G xo

      Delete
    3. Yes Aiden is my favourite! Gah Carrie is so frustrating sometimes!! Yeah so cute how he made her that chair aw!
      Haha I took 50 Shades on the train and then lost my nerve and didn't read it in public! Although everyone else does, seems to be the most read book on the Melbourne train system right now!
      Oh yay I'm so glad to hear you started One Tree Hill! It just keeps getting better and better I promise! Tell me what you think as you watch it at regular intervals! I'm watching it with a friend at season 9, and rewatching it again myself halfway through season 1. Love it!
      Haha it is like pen pals in a way! Yeah it's crazy I only started this a little under a month ago, I can't believe I haven't discovered this before now. Absolutely loving having my little space on the internet :) Haha i agree to that pact...of course I'd never forget any of my lovely followers be there 10 or 10 million of them :P In our dreams right? hehe!
      xx

      Delete
  8. Great reviews! I love 7th Heaven....pure escapism and feel good stuff....a little embarrassing but who cares!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Wow 7th Heaven is getting a strange amount of love on here!
      Embarrassing shows are sometimes the best! It's so great to just chill out and watch the very wholesome scripted, goodie goodie drama play out :P
      xo

      Delete
  9. hehe! Nice post! iPad looks sexy! :)
    I also love the O.C and Friends. Wish they never stopped making the O.C!
    Anyways, nice blog. Now following you!
    Feel free to come follow mine to :)
    www.cosmeticallycreative.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! :D haha It is very sexy, love it!
      I know I was so sad The OC stopped at season 4. And what an average season it was unfortunately :(
      Thanks for the kind words, going to check out your blog now! xx

      Delete
  10. I love my iPad! I got it as a gift from one of my really close family friends, and I have so many TV episodes and movies on it, it's not even funny. My computer is being weird and won't connect to my home internet (I'm at school), so I can't download anything else right now, so I'm stuck with watching what I have over and over and over again!!

    Also, friends? Best. Show. Ever. I agree 100%

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay another iPad lover!! Before I got it I was like oh what purpose could this serve I have an iphone and a computer so why do I need this it's pointless...but BOY was I wrong! It's like you don't know how much you need it until you have it! I can't believe I ever caught the train or travelled anywhere on long trips without it before!

      Glad you agree on Friends...at least you can watch that over and over and over again without getting too tired of it! Always makes me laugh! Do you notice you're own friends having similarities with the friends characters on the show? I think I have a friend that fits into all of those characters! Just makes me love Friends even more because of how relatable it is :P

      Thanks for the comment Lydia :D So happy this post sparked so much TV show discussion...was exactly what I was after :D

      xx

      Delete
  11. I know! I use it every single day, and I wonder how I lived without it...which makes me sound really superficial, but I'm not...

    I love Friends. So much. So. Much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you are not superficial, just appreciative of a good invention :P

      Me too, so much, so much, so muchhhhh






      SO MUCH.

      Delete
  12. I really love my iPad, and my iPhone. I have a very generous extended family.

    "I got her machine."
    "Her answering machine?"
    "No, interestingly enough, her leaf blower picked up."
    probably my favorite Friends quote right there :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, and I really appreciate you taking the time to comment! Thanks so much for reading :)