Friday 17 August 2012

Nail Care and Prep for a Top Manicure

The other day a lovely reader of mine asked me to do a post about how I care for and prep my nails for a manicure that lasts. I love it when you guys give me suggestions for posts by the way, so please keep them coming!

So let's jump right into it:

1. Remove all old nail polish using nail polish remover on cotton wool balls. Removers with the highest amount of acetone are the best at most efficiently removing polish. I never bother with acetone free ones.

2. Next I cut my nails to the size I want them using nail scissors/cutters. After they are at the size I want them, I then file them to shape. I tend to shape them slightly curved across the top, and then I curve the sides, so they are sort of a mix between oval and square shaped nails.





3. After filing them into the perfect shape, I use one of these buffer cubes to smooth ridges, polish and shine my nails. You shouldnt use these too regularly, because they essentially take the finest top layer off your nails to make them healthier looking, but twice a month or so is fine and good for them. The left cube is from the brand Bloom, and the right cube is from Manicare, both are excellent.




4. Nail polish removers with acetone in them can be quite drying, so my trick is to rub hand and nail moisturiser into my nails so they can regain some of the oils that the acetone stripped off. Let that sink in for a few minutes before doing anything else. This hand cream is the best one I've tried:





5. Next use a good base coat, as it forms a layer of protection between the polish and your nail and helps prevent the polish from staining your nail and yellowing it. It also provides a slightly tacky base for your polish that helps the polish stay put and last longer. This one from OPI is a great base coat and nail strengthener, and doesn't have any bubbles that some base coats can form when you paint them on (it's also a top coat but I don't use it as that).


6. Then apply two coats of your chosen nail polish. Try to paint on quite a thin layer each time, as thick layers bubble, dent and take ages to dry.
The first layer should appear quite sheer, then the second layer makes it opaque. I tend to paint one middle stroke, then one to either side of the middle. It also helps to 'bookend' the polish by placing the brush vertically against the edge of nail. This helps prevent chips. This is one of my favourite nail polishes - Fiesta by Essie.



7. Now for the number one recommendation I can give you: buy Seche Vite top coat. I swear by this, and have recommended it to so many people and they all swear by it now too.


It is the best way to get professionally finished looking nails. You apply it while the coloured polish is still wet, as it sinks through the coloured polish to form a single solid coating of lacquer. It leaves you with the glossiest, hardest and strongest, most durable nails that last for over two weeks. Mine never chip, and I tend to paint my nails twice a month because I can seriously wear flawless polish for over two weeks at a time with this top coat and it still looks brand new. One coat is fine for me, but do one the next day if you want it to last extra long. This also dries so quick, that within a minute your nails will be dry and touchable.

You can even just buy cheaper nail polish from now on and wear this over the top, as the cheaper nail polish will suddenly just last and last. You can buy it in Australia from certain nail salons for around $24, but you can buy it really cheap on eBay, for around $5. You won't be disappointed, I guarantee you!

*Don't worry about nail polish that has been painted on your skin around the nail, just shower and the hot water will make it peel off your skin very easily.

__________________________________________________________________________________

So that is my nail routine! I am one of those naughty people that never lets their nails breathe, because I go from one nail polish to the next. I just love having painted nails, but I probably should give them a rest every so often!

If there's one thing you take away from this article, let it be that you need to get your hands on that top coat! Friends of mine swear by Shellac because it lasts for ages, but trust me, with Seche Vite yours will too. I promise you won't regret it.

Any other tricks I've missed that you swear by? Hope this helps you create professional looking manicures that last for ages!  Thanks to the reader who suggested I write this by the way, it was fun :)




10 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this! I'm really excited now xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! It was fun to write :D Hope the tips help! x

      Delete
  2. Awesome tips! Great post!

    http://dulcet-sparkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely comments :) Just had a look through your blog...love it! Now following! x

      Delete
  3. The Neutrogena hand cream is the best I've tried and it Is very well priced. Seche Vite is amazing and WELL worth buying for longer lasting beautiful nails. Thanks for the tips Kate:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's really brilliant, and I'm glad you also use and like Seche Vite! It's incredible isn't it!? I can't believe I ever did my nails and didn't use it :P

      Delete
  4. Fantastic post!

    I love painting my nails too, but I do it during alternate weeks. It's hard when you have so many bright colours to choose from, though! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely!! :D Yeah I tend to paint my nails one day then get bored the next and want to repaint them right away! :P

      Delete
  5. Think I'm going to invest in the Seche Vite top coat now! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it, it's such a brilliant investment and on eBay it's so cheap anyway! You'll never look back haha! x

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you, and I really appreciate you taking the time to comment! Thanks so much for reading :)